The federal government employs about 2¼ million military personnel, of whom about 1 million are reservists. It also employs about 2¼ million civilian personnel, of whom nearly 60 percent work for the Departments of Defense, Veterans Affairs, and Homeland Security, and the remaining roughly 40 percent work for other departments and agencies. CBO regularly assesses the budgetary implications of proposals to alter the pay and benefits of the nation’s armed forces and civil servants.
Use this menu to filter CBO's publications by topic. From January 2011 forward, all the agency's products are categorized by topic. Cost estimates released prior to the 112th Congress are not categorized by topic.